Sunday, July 06, 2008

Old Man Biking

I wish I'd had my camera. I was indoors and happened to look out the window and spotted an older gentleman in a suit, riding a sensible, regular bike, slowly. On the sidewalk, nonetheless. His bike was a newer cruiser-style model, with full fenders, a chain guard, and rear derailleur. He carried a briefcase on the rear rack. Given his attire and the hour, he probably was returning home from church. Now, he did also carry a backpack on his back, which is one thing I wish people would abandon. We are not hiking. Put it on the bike.

This may seem uneventful to the reader, but bear in mind that here in the DC suburbs of Virginia it is an unusual sight. Most adults on bikes in my vicinity are either spandex-clad on road bikes, or on mountain bikes with the requisite backpack. The Hispanic immigrants in the neighborhood often ride department store mountain bikes and hang their plastic grocery bags on either handlebar end. 

In Old Town Alexandria, I'll rarely see someone on an old Raleigh 3-speed, and sometimes I'll see some retro-grouch (I love this term, and count myself among them) on his touring bike complete with fenders, barcons, panniers, and reflective vest on his way to work. But the other day, I saw a guy on an all-chrome cruiser with apehangers! Then today, this gentleman in a suit on a regular bike. Looks like some people realize that bikes can be more than competition and fitness machines. Get around in style!

No comments: